App DescriptionYour handy guide to identifying fish. Pocket Guide UK Sea Fishing includes a selection of 41 fish commonly caught in recreational angling around the UK shores, many of which can be found at your local fish fishmongers. You can easily scroll through list of fish by category (including thumbnail images), or use the search function. Almost all the entries have resizable colour photographs, and for each there's a description of the characteristics of the fish, it's appearance, habitat, diet, dimensions and lifespan. Classification data is also included along with the fishes conservation status. Any entry can be bookmarked and you can also write your own notes using the built-in editor. The guide also includes information about organisations related to sea fishing as well as links to their websites.
- List view showing all fish by category.
- Resizable colour photographs.
- Details on appearance, dimensions, habitat, diet, activity, lifespan and conservation status.
- Ability to bookmark any entry or add your own notes.
- Social networking integration via Twitter and Facebook (you will need an account with the relevant service to use it).
- Information about fishing organisations and their websites.
- Create your own list of your favourites using the bookmark feature.
- A counter feature for each entry. Count catches or whatever you like.
The 'Standard' version of the Pocket Guide to UK Sea Fishing includes entries for: Bream (Black, Sea), Dab, Flounder (European), Halibut (Atlantic), Plaice (European), Sole (Dover, Common), Sole (Lemon), Salmon (Atlantic), Trout (Sea), Mullet (Golden grey), Mullet (Thick-lipped grey), Mullet (Thinlip, grey), Ray (Blonde), Ray (Thornback), Skate (Common, Blue), Gurnard (Streaked), Gurnard (Yellow or Tubfish), Bass (Seabass), Cod, Conger Eel, Garfish (Sea Needle), Great Weaver, Haddock, Hake, Herring (Atlantic), Ling, Mackerel (Atlantic Chub), Mackerel (Atlantic), Monkfish (Angler Fish), Pollock (Atlantic, European), Pollock (Coalfish, Coley, Saithe), Poor Cod, Pouting (Bib, Pout), Scad (Atlantic Horse Mackerel), Shad (Twaite), Whiting (Channel), Wrasse (Ballan), Wrasse (Cuckoo), Dogfish (Greater Spotted, Bull huss, Nursehound), Dogfish (Lesser Spotted) and Shark (Smoothhound, Starry).
For even more fish, see the 'Plus' version called Pocket Guide to UK Sea Fishing 'Plus' version which has around 110 fish listed, including many less common species found around the UK. There is also a 'Lite' version of the Pocket Guide featuring just 21 fish (note that all the fish in the Lite version are found in this 'Standard' version too).
Pocket Guides to UK Sea Fishing Bait and Rigs will follow shortly.
- Defra Commercial Minimum Landing Sizes (MLS) are quoted in the guide.
- Local river authority byelaws may apply for certain fish and these should be sought where ever necessary.
- IFCAs have replaced SFC and any minimum retention sizes should be sought from your local region, see IFCA region map for your local byelaws.
January 30, 2012 Initial Release