What's NewVersion 1.01 adds support for recognizing phrases composed of two characters.
App DescriptionNote: This app is optimized for the iPhone 4 and works best with its HD camera.
Chinese Live Dictionary allows you to directly look up Chinese Characters (Hanzi) and words in a printed text. No need to know how to use a printed dictionary, the stroke order or transcription of a character! Simply select it in real-time with the iPhone's camera, and you get a translation as well as a pinyin transcription. Read books and newspapers even though you are still learning and don't know all the characters in it or use it to quickly translate text during your travels in China to better explore its culture!
* Select a single Chinese character with the red square. Try to avoid having parts of other characters in the square.
* Once the program has finished recognizing, one or more characters will appear on the screen. The character most likely to be correct is highlighted in blue. Click other characters to see their translation on the bottom of the screen.
* To continue with the next character, tap anywhere on the screen outside the controls.
* You can pause the program at any time and look at the last character candidates by tapping the screen anywhere outside the controls.
* Results are better the sharper the picture is - do not get closer with the camera than necessary. Avoid shadows on the text.
* You can resize the red square by dragging the upper right corner if necessary
* If several characters recognized in sequence form a phrase/ multi-character word, it will appear on the right side of the screen. Click it for a translation.
* The bottom panel gives a quick translation. To see if more information is available, swipe the bottom panel up.
* Use the four slots below the history to combine characters into phrases. Drag characters from the history into the slots. If a translation for a combination of characters placed in the slots exists, the phrase will light up blue and its translation will show in the translation window.
September 26, 2012 Price Decrease: $0.99 -> FREE!
July 19, 2012 Price Decrease: $0.99 -> FREE!
July 07, 2012 Price Decrease: $0.99 -> FREE!
January 30, 2012 Initial Release