• Minor bugfixes
"The Oldie, a magazine that's wry, funny and eccentric - I read it with delight" Terry Wogan
Dubbed "the most original magazine in the country", The Oldie was launched 20 years ago by its current editor, Richard Ingrams. Having edited Private Eye for 23 years, Richard was keen to launch a new humorous monthly magazine which would appeal to those of us who felt the press had become overrun by marketing men and PR companies who were obsessed by celebrities.
The Oldie is about attitude – not age. It prides itself on great writing and the very best cartoons. Our contributors include Virginia Ironside, Candida Lycett Green, Marcus Berkmann, Elisabeth Luard and Valerie Grove. Unpredictable and eclectic, The Oldie refuses to conform to any political agenda but celebrates the eccentric. Regular columns include Modern Life, in which The Oldie tries to explain modern ideas like "chickenability"; I Once Met, chance encounters with the famous and infamous.
There is also a lively books and arts section, and, every quarter, we publish The Oldie Review of Books, a round-up of the reviews of the best books of the quarter. And, there are our monthly literary lunches at Simpson's-in-the-Strand. It's more of a club than a magazine.
The iPad/iPhone edition brings you selected pages from the latest issue as soon as it is published. You can subscribe within the application for full access, which brings you every page of the issue and a searchable archive back to January 2011. Issues are not sold individually - for the duration of your subscription you have access to every issue in this archive.
During your subscription you can sync back issues to your device. These will remain in place if your subscription expires, unless your device removes them (for example when running low on disk space). Re-downloading issues requires a current subscription.
• Swipe or tap the page edges to flip to next/previous page.
• Use the animated thumbnail view to flick through the pages.
• Pinch or double-tap pages to zoom.
• Switch between single or double-page view (iPad only).
• Search the current issue or (paid-only) the archive.
• Tap any page links to web sites, email addresses, phone numbers or maps.
• Tap contents-page links to jump to a particular article.
• Sync back issues to your device for offline reading (requires wi-fi).
• Network connection required otherwise.
We recommend first running the app within a wi-fi area so it can sync the latest issue to your device - after that you can use it anywhere. Subscribers will receive new issues automatically via Newsstand.
Subscriptions are available within the app at the following prices:
£3.99 per month
£34.99 per year
In addition, please note the following standard features of auto-renewable iTunes subscriptions:
• Your payment will be charged to your iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase.
• Subscriptions will renew automatically unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24 hours before the end of the current period.
• Your account will be charged for renewal within 24 hours prior to the end of the current period.
• You can manage your subscriptions and turn off auto-renewal by going to your Account Settings in iTunes after purchase.
• No cancellation of the current subscription is allowed during active subscription period.
and our terms of service here:
- June 15, 2014 Initial release
- October 08, 2014 New version 8.0.1
- December 12, 2014 New version 8.2.4
- April 30, 2015 New version 8.3.0