App DescriptionThe original FilmOneFest iPad app is a celebration of the one-minute film as an art form.
**** New for 2012! ****
Also download our NEW universal smartphone / iPad app called FilmOneFest II, with fresh content and many additional features.
There's no doubt that the world loves film. Now think about films that are one minute long! Just imagine what it takes to tell a story, deliver a message, connect emotionally and successfully in a film of one minute! It takes talent. So to help share such talent across the world, we have created an app for the FilmOneFest film festival, curating and showing the work of talented filmmakers as a way to inspire others to question, experiment, explore, laugh, cry, and unite us in our common humanity through this medium.
What You will Find in this App
- One-minute films from filmmakers all around world
- Documented interviews with filmmakers about what inspires them and what excites them about the one-minute film format
- Artists' statements accompanying many of the films
- Past award winning films from FilmOneFest
- 2011 films selected by the Panel to be shown at FilmOneFest
- Selection Panel sharing their passions about film and what they look for in their selections
- About Atlantic Highlands and its Arts Council: hosts to the annual FilmOneFest - located 30 minutes south of New York City by fast ferry service.
The FilmOneFest Festival
FilmOneFest is an annual outdoor film festival that shows approximately 60 one-minute films from all over the world in mid July every year. It's been operating since 2009 on the lawns and under the stars in the picturesque harbor town of Atlantic Highlands, NJ, USA. In 2010, almost 1000 people gathered on the lawns, lay down their blankets, stretched out their lawn chairs, opened up their coolers and joined in celebration on a balmy summer's evening, watching one-minute films. FilmOneFest is a NJ 501(c)3 organization.
From the outset our vision for the app was much more than just showing the one-minute films. We saw value in adding greater richness to the app experience for viewers, and at the same time wanted to provide the artists more room for self expression.
So we invited the film makers to submit, at minimum, an Artist's Statement, allowing them to say more about their films. We also invited them to have their own Feature Page in the app where they share more about their film work in general, current projects, additional background, influences and aspirations, offering them also the opportunity to connect with their worldwide fans via Facebook, twitter and display their own websites. Reading these interviews with the filmmakers can really create an enhanced appreciation of the films. It supports the notion that without context there is no meaning. Sure, we can make up a context and overlay our own meaning onto a piece of art, and that's what is also to be valued about art. However, to hear from the creators themselves just opens us up to whole new set of meanings. That's powerful. It's expansive.
We also wanted to hear from the Selection Panel. They are seasoned professionals with strong links to the film industry. These four individuals have the responsibility to select which films get shown during the Festival each year. Their passion for film comes across in their interviews.
Our continued vision for this app is to accept and curate one-minute films all year round, culminating in the acclaimed FilmOneFest every year in Atlantic Highlands, NJ, USA.
To the best of our knowledge, the FilmOneFest app is
- The first iPad specific app developed for a film festival.
- The first iPad app for a festival of of one-minute films.
- The first iPad app that curates submissions of one-minute films all year round for final selection to a festival
June 29, 2011 Initial Release