BONUS! We've added five more stunning pictures to this already amazing collection of words and images, bringing the total to 50. (The app originally shipped with 40 — we've added 10 more as part of our efforts to make the Above & Beyond series even better.)
** UPDATED TO INCLUDE ANOTHER FIVE NEW IMAGES, BRINGING THE TOTAL TO 50. THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING THE ABOVE & BEYOND SERIES! **
This groundbreaking app represents a new way to enjoy photography. More than a gallery of pictures, it is an inspirational story for photographers and non-photographers alike about what's possible when people push themselves to go above and beyond.
George Steinmetz is a National Geographic photographer whose imagery reveals a world that otherwise would never be seen. For the past 25 years he has brought to his work the eye of a master photographer, the mind of a Stanford-educated geophysics major, and the determination of an adventurer willing to risk his life in a motorized paraglider in search of natural beauty invisible from the ground. With a better understanding of George's persona and processes, one can look beyond the intricate patterns and surreal landscapes in his photography to truly appreciate what makes these images — and our world — unique.
Interact with photography like never before:
• Hear directly from George how each photograph came to be, as well as the police chases, windstorms, equipment malfunctions and rocky landings that nearly got in the way.
• Explore satellite imagery and maps of each location to discover exotic places throughout the world where George has travelled for magazine assignments.
• Learn about George's motorized paraglider and what makes it fly, through interactive graphics and an exclusive video that puts you in the harness.
• Analyze the details of each picture — George's camera settings, caption information, and high-resolution enlargements that provide an up-close look.
• Share your favorite photographs through e-mail at the tap of a button. (Internet connection required.)
Recommended for all ages.
"Above & Beyond: George Steinmetz" is the first of a series of apps that showcase incredible imagery and the equally incredible men and women who create them. It is published by Joe Zeff Design, designer and developer of "The Final Hours of Portal 2" and "Splashlight Studio Tour" and designer of numerous apps including "Solar System for iPad," an iTunes App of the Week selection. For more information about Joe Zeff Design, visit www.joezeffdesign.com and www.joezeffdesign.com/blog
- June 13, 2014 Initial release