App DescriptionThis is a mini-app, offered to whet your appetite for the full-feature version. The full-feature version (iPhone and iPad Universal version) has 16 stories that together present the chronology, the characters, and some of the color of the Mission period in California. In addition to hearing the audio stories, you can read fascinating details of the daily lives of the padres, the soldiers, and the natives who lived at the missions.
True stories of the missions give a vivid picture of California’s early history. As you listen, you will have a sense of what it was like to live in those times. This is no romanticized or politicized version of mission life, but glimpses into the struggles and triumphs of very real people.
- Printed and audio versions of 6 stories that bring history to life.
- 27 minutes of listening entertainment and education
- Additional pages of fascinating facts about life in the missions and the mission era
- Updates of additional material
- Teacher’s guide for using stories for teaching history
- Descriptions and other info about each of the 21 missions
- Links to GPS maps to each mission
- Links to missions’ websites
- Except for maps and links, all downloadable; no Internet connection required
> For Travel: As you travel, listen to entertaining stories that make seeing and touring the missions more exciting and meaningful.
> For Teaching: Teacher’s guide suggests ways to use the stories and other information to help students understand and feel the lives and adventures of the 19th-century priests, soldiers, natives, and their visitors. Makes history fun!
> General: Stories give a comprehensive—broad yet detailed—picture of a fascinating period of history. Enlightening as well as entertaining.
- The Missions
- Beginning a Mission (San Diego, 1769)
- Beloved Padre (Santa Clara, 1794-1830)
- A Marriage at the Mission (San Antonio de Padua, 1773)
- Mission Martyr (San Diego, 1775)
- The Indian Girl Who Saved a Mission (Santa Inés)
April 01, 2011 Initial Release