* A new look for the Smoovie Library.
* Improvements for iOS 9.
* Direct upload to YouTube is no longer available.
Please remember to check out our education resources and stop motion animation tips and tricks on smoovie.com.
Loved by families and educators around the world, Smoovie is the 'must have' app for making stop motion animations on iPad. Here's what the press are saying:
"Smoovie's ease of use makes stop-motion animation a joy and filmmakers and families alike should have fun bringing inanimate objects to life for hours on end." - MacLife
"There's just something fantastic about not having to worry about transferring photos, cables or being limited to one space with Smoovie on the iPad. It's an all-in-one package. And for kids (and adults), that just makes it all the more inspiring and fun to use." - TUAW
* Instant playback - just for fun!
Making a stop motion animation should be fun. You move your objects little by little, capturing each frame and, with growing anticipation, you press 'play' to see everything magically come to life. Smoovie instantly plays back what you've captured - without rendering. Rendering interrupts your creativity and wastes your time. We think you deserve better and we believe Smoovie is the fastest (and most fun) app for creating stop motion animations!
* Scenes - tell a better story
Smoovie is the only stop motion app that lets you arrange your content in scenes. Each scene has an independently adjustable playback speed (from 1 to 30 frames per second) allowing you to vary the pace and mood of your animation. Mix it up! You can add new scenes, cut unwanted scenes, capture new action into existing scenes and drag scenes around to change the running order - all with full undo support so you're safe to experiment!
* Filmstrip - precision editing
With a quick swipe gesture across the list of scenes you gain access to a virtual filmstrip that shows all the frames in your project. The filmstrip is a very simple concept for kids to grasp to help them learn the basics of making movies. There's even a small piece of virtual tape joining each scene! But there's a surprising amount of editing power hidden here that gives the more seasoned animator precise control over the content of their movies. You can cut, copy and paste individual frames - with full undo support of course. You can drag frames from one scene to another and even copy frames from other smoovies.
* Onion skinning
Onion Skinning is possibly the most important feature of a stop motion animation app, because it helps the animator to perfect the tiny adjustments required between frames that create the illusion of smooth motion in the finished movie. It works by making the live video from the either of the iPad’s cameras semi-transparent and superimposing it onto the previous frame, so it's easy to see how far objects need to be moved for the next shot.
* Add a little music
The right piece of music can really help enhance the mood of your animation. Smoovie lets you browse the music library on your iPad so you can choose the perfect soundtrack for your masterpiece.
* Create, copy and paste - with other apps
Copy and paste even works with other apps that you love, opening up a whole new world of creative possibilities for making content for your animations! You could use pictures from the Photos app, create titles with Keynote or turn sketches from your favourite drawing app into cartoons. Simply create, copy and paste!
* Even more editing power
Smoovie makes it easy to export your animations to be used as content for other apps. Why not write your own soundtrack in GarageBand or add some opening effects in iMovie?
* Share the magic
Once you've made a smoovie, you'll probably want to show it off for everyone to see. Smoovie lets you export your animations to the Camera Roll on your iPad where you can share them with friends or transfer them to your Mac or PC. And if you've got Apple TV, you can delight your friends and family by showing them your masterpieces on television with AirPlay Mirroring.
- June 27, 2012 Initial release
- September 07, 2012 New version 1.1.2
- September 22, 2012 New version 1.1.3
- November 23, 2012 Price decrease: $4.99 -> $2.99
- November 28, 2012 Price increase: $2.99 -> $4.99
- March 12, 2013 Price increase: $4.99 -> $6.99
- August 10, 2013 New version 1.1.4
- September 20, 2013 New version 1.1.5
- October 09, 2013 New version 1.1.6
- November 28, 2013 Price decrease: $6.99 -> $2.99
- December 03, 2013 Price increase: $2.99 -> $6.99
- February 21, 2014 New version 1.2
- July 11, 2014 New version 1.2.1
- September 28, 2014 New version 1.3
- October 25, 2014 New version 1.3.1
- December 01, 2014 Price decrease: $6.99 -> $2.99
- December 04, 2014 Price increase: $2.99 -> $6.99
- November 28, 2015 Price decrease: $6.99 -> $3.99
- December 01, 2015 Price increase: $3.99 -> $6.99
- December 05, 2015 New version 1.4