Positive reviews are always appreciated! Please send any problem reports to [email protected] We cannot reply to problem reports in reviews.
Crystal Synth XT is a full featured semi-modular synthesizer, ideally suited to creating lush evolving soundscapes. Crystal VST has long been a popular synthesizer on the desktop. Crystal Synth XT brings that same powerful synthesis engine to the iPad and iPhone. Crystal Synth XT features MIDI keyboard input via the iPad's camera adapter or any CoreMIDI-compatible MIDI interface and sharing of sounds with the desktop version of Crystal.
== Features ==
Browse through the included sounds and use the 2 octave keypad to trigger notes to produce evolving, rhythmic, or melodic sounds. Create your own sounds with a single button press using the breed feature. When using an iPad, you can delve into a tweaker's dream by using the extensive editing features to sculpt sounds to your heart's content (editing features are only available when used on an iPad).
Crystal features both subtractive synthesis and frequency modulation (FM) synthesis. It offers abundant modulation control with over 90 parameters which may be modulated, multi-stage envelopes with graphical editors, extensive tempo sync of envelopes/lfo rates/delay times, built-in effects for chorus/flanging/comb filtering/echoes, and a band splitter for effects processing by frequency band. Not only that, Crystal has wave sequencing and granular synthesis. The musical applications for Crystal are literally boundless.
== MIDI ==
With MIDI keyboard input, you can connect a MIDI keyboard to your iPad and play Crystal XT like a hardware synth. Or use a CoreMIDI-compatible MIDI interface such as the Line 6 MIDI Mobilizer and connect your MIDI keyboard to Crystal XT on an iPhone.
== Virtual MIDI ==
Use virtual midi to play Crystal from a midi controller app. Use the Settings app to turn on the CrystalSynthXT Background Audio mode to enable Crystal to play audio when in the background. You can then play Crystal from a midi controller app which supports virtual midi.
== Sharing ==
With patch sharing you can create sounds on your iPad or iPhone while away from the studio, then transfer them to the desktop Crystal when you get back to the studio to use in recording projects. Or, create banks of sounds on the desktop Crystal, then transfer them to the iPad/iPhone Crystal to use in a live performance for a truly portable rig. Use Audio copy/paste to record your performance on Crystal and transfer that performance to another app. Or copy your recorded performance to your computer.
== Inter App Audio ==
To use IAA to record into GarageBand, turn on Background Audio for Crystal Synth XT in the Settings app.
== Different Versions ==
If you don't need all the features of Crystal XT, try the basic version of Crystal, also available in the app store from Green Oak Software. With the basic version you can browse sounds, play notes, and create new sounds, taking advantage of its powerful semimodular synthesis engine. The XT version adds features like MIDI keyboard input via the iPad's camera adapter and patch sharing with the desktop version. Choose the app that is best for you!
== Notes ==
Important note for iPhone and iPodTouch users: Crystal XT runs on both the iPad and the iPhone. Because of the limited screen space on the iPhone however, the editing pages, which contain the edit controls, are not available when running on that device. But on the iPhone you can still browse sounds, play notes from the keypad, create new sounds with the Breed feature, modify patches with the Design feature, and share sounds with desktop Crystal VST.
MIDI input via Apple's camera adapter requires an iPad. Apple's camera adapter is not supported on the iPhone/iPod Touch. On the iPhone/iPod Touch use CoreMIDI-compatible MIDI interface to connect your MIDI keyboard to Crystal. We recommend www.iosmidi.com as a good place to go to learn whether specific keyboards will work with the camera adapter.
For videos and information about Crystal XT, visit:
- March 15, 2011 New version 1.2
- October 20, 2011 New version 1.4
- December 17, 2011 New version 1.5
- January 28, 2012 Price decrease: $4.99 -> $3.99
- January 31, 2012 Price increase: $3.99 -> $4.99
- April 14, 2012 New version 1.6
- April 28, 2012 New version 1.7
- June 06, 2012 New version 1.8
- March 25, 2013 Price decrease: $4.99 -> $3.99
- March 26, 2013 Price increase: $3.99 -> $4.99
- April 28, 2013 New version 1.9
- May 10, 2013 Price decrease: $4.99 -> $3.99
- May 12, 2013 Price increase: $3.99 -> $4.99
- June 08, 2013 Price decrease: $4.99 -> $3.99
- June 10, 2013 Price increase: $3.99 -> $4.99
- July 26, 2013 Price decrease: $4.99 -> $3.99
- July 28, 2013 Price increase: $3.99 -> $4.99
- October 06, 2013 New version 1.9.1
- October 11, 2013 Price decrease: $4.99 -> $3.99
- October 13, 2013 Price increase: $3.99 -> $4.99
- December 13, 2013 New version 2.0
- December 18, 2013 New version 2.0.1
- January 10, 2014 New version 2.0.3
- August 30, 2014 Price decrease: $4.99 -> $3.99
- September 02, 2014 Price increase: $3.99 -> $4.99
- September 21, 2014 New version 2.0.4
- October 05, 2014 New version 2.0.5
- October 25, 2014 New version 2.0.6
- May 06, 2015 New version 2.1
- June 26, 2015 Price decrease: $4.99 -> $3.99
- June 29, 2015 Price increase: $3.99 -> $4.99
- November 01, 2015 New version 2.1.2