Updated for the latest iOS versions, bug fixes, and answers to the meaning of life.
COMMUNICATE MORE EFFECTIVELY with this 200+ phrase crash course in French Creole. Created by Burn Advocates Network using the Brainscape platform, this app will drill you on the most essential words & phrases FASTER than any other app, using the latest in Cognitive Science techniques.
French Creole for Aid Workers has renewed importance as a new challenge faces those volunteers who travel to Haiti in the aftermath of the Jan 11 Earthquake. The cholera epidemic presents needs with comparable urgency but unprecedented logistic and communication challenges . Standard French becomes less useful as relief workers travel to remote villages where only Creole is spoken. Burn Advocates has therefore developed the first Physical and Occupational Therapy Center in North Haiti which treats trauma and burn cases, and its mission is to bring physicians, nurses, therapists to heal and teach. Burn Advocates believes it is critical for its aid workers - and aid workers from any other organization - to be able to learn the basic native phrases FAST so they can more quickly begin focusing on efficient aid delivery.
The Brainscape team behind this software is made up of cognitive scientists and language specialists formerly with Columbia and Yale, as well as former executives from The Princeton Review and Kaplan. Brainscape's mission is to make learning easier and more convenient using a scientifically optimized flashcard repetition algorithm, rather than creating frivolous games or distracting quizzes to try to make learning “fun.” It is a perfect complement to one of sponsoring organization Burn Advocate Network's core values: Delivering aid more efficiently through personal attention and effective COMMUNICATION.
French Creole for Aid Workers includes:
• 200 AUDIO flashcards composed of the most important French Creole words & phrases that are likely to be needed by aid workers
• A customized flashcard repetition algorithm that cuts your memorization time dramatically
• Convenient “browse” and “search” functions that allow you to easily find cards you want
• Ongoing feedback, statistics, and visualization tools to help you track your progress
This app provides an indispensable "primer" for any new or veteran aid workers interested in better understanding the needs of and developing rapport with patients and local care givers.
The app will be refined as needs and experience dictate. Please provide feedback wherever you can, and be sure to visit www.brainscape.com, and www.burnadvocates.org, for more information.
- October 14, 2011 New version 2.20111010
- January 15, 2012 New version 2.20120110
- August 14, 2012 New version 2.20120808
- October 16, 2012 New version 2.20121010
- October 05, 2013 New version 2.20130920
- December 28, 2013 New version 2.20131217
- November 03, 2014 New version 2.20141029
- November 09, 2016 New version 3.20160819