148Apps Review SummaryOur Rating: :: CONTENT-FILLED :: Read Our Full Review >>
Redshift is an astronomy tool for the iPad, combining both the sky from Earth and the vast space above into an impressive application built for iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch.
What's New- Todayâ€™s Sky
- Introduction to astronomy
- 3D model of Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko â€“ the target of ESAâ€™s Rosetta mission
- Milky Way Brightness Slider
- Optimized graphics
- In App-Purchase "Himmelsjahr 2015" (in German only, 53 MB)
App DescriptionThe leading astronomy app â€“ featured in Appleâ€™s Rewind 2011 and 2012 Editorsâ€™ Choices!
* â€śRedshift is as impressive as it is immersiveâ€ť 5/5 macworld.com *
* â€śGives a whole new meaning to astronomy 2.0â€ť Appfinders.com *
Redshift brings the night sky to your screen, with all major and dwarf planets, constellations and bright stars â€“ displayed in top quality. The application goes beyond the basic planetarium because it also displays a 3D-model of the nearby part of our Galaxy.
Perform various amazing 3-D flights and visit the Moon and all planets in our Solar system. Detailed surface maps display those objects in a close-up right before your eyes. Once you have arrived at your target object, you can enter into an orbit around the celestial body â€“ just like an astronaut in a real spacecraft.
Or choose the most thrilling option of all: Travel to the stars in the depth of the Galaxy, some of which are up to 3,000 light years away from our home planet!
Find selected objects in the sky: By using the position sensors and the compass (3GS or higher), you can reach every celestial body. Turn on the â€žFollow Skyâ€ś mode of your device to identify stars and planets that shine in the real night sky in front of you.
Thrilling images present around 500 galaxies, nebulae, star clusters and other Deep Sky objects on your screen â€“ images otherwise available only through the largest telescopes in observatories worldwide.
Every calculation within the application is done in real time for any given epoch in the 20th and 21st centuries, such as positions of stars and planets, the motion of Earth and the Moon, or flybys of comets. You can easily accelerate or slow down the progress of time by a wheel to watch the thrilling events in the night sky in full detail.
- More than 100,000 stars, 500 fascinating Deep Sky objects, 30 biggest asteroids, 10 famous comets visiting our planet, all major and dwarf planets, as well as Earthâ€™s Moon
- Comprehensive astronomical data for all celestial objects: name (as referred to in various catalogues), distance, type, luminosity, size, rise and set times
- Retina-display support
- 3D-depiction of the solar systemâ€™s 25 major moons
- Scenic flight round stars
- Integrated display of information gathered from Wikipedia
- â€śFollow Skyâ€ś mode: watch the current sky view and immediately identify a bright star or planet in front of you
- Breathtaking 3-D flights to the Moon, planets and stars
- â€śObservatoryâ€ś option: presents you many fascinating objects shining on the Earthâ€™s sky
- â€śDay/Nightâ€ť mode and realistic simulation of dawn
- â€śNight Visionâ€ť mode for observations during the night
- â€žTime travelâ€ś: Create night sky views for any location at any time in the past or in the future
- Location: Choose automatic search via GPS or select manually on the Earthâ€™s globe
- Select from several background sound effects
- Select panoramic views as your individual horizon
See the Redshift trailer on youtube.com: http://www.youtube.com/user/unitedsoftmedia
For more information on news and updates: twitter.com/redshiftlive or visit us on facebook.
December 21, 2014 New version 2.0
June 21, 2014 New version 1.9.1
January 29, 2014 Price Decrease: $11.99 -> $10.99
January 29, 2014 New version 1.9
September 26, 2013 New version 1.8
July 01, 2013 New version 1.7.2
June 18, 2013 New version 1.7.1
September 30, 2010 Initial Release