148Apps Review SummaryOur Rating: :: ASTOUNDINGLY POWERFUL, BUT FLAWED :: Read Our Full Review >>
Anki is not for the faint of heart, but its spaced repetition algorith makes it THE flashcard application for serious users. It's not without its flaws, and this iOS version is inferior to its desktop incarnation, but Anki's algorithm has won my loyalty.
What's New* Fix layout issues and a crash in the custom study screen caused by the previous update to iOS7.
* Default to a darker theme on iOS7. The blue one can be selected in the preferences if you prefer it.
* Add an option in the settings screen to enable autocorrection when adding/editing.
* The navigation bar hiding has been reworked: instead of a thin line at the top of the screen which people found difficult to tap, the navigation bar is now shown or hidden by an action that can be assigned to a tap or swipe in the preferences screen. If you wish to leave it permanently off, you can toggle it off with the action, and then assign the tap or swipe to something else.
* In the interests of a timely release, hiding the navigation bar will now hide the status bar as well, which works around a layout issue. If possible, the status bar will be made independent again in a future release.
* Fix an issue with burying cards in a filtered deck.
* Fix a crash when a sync found inconsistencies.
* Fix a crash caused by a deck with an empty name is in the collection.
* Fix the card counts failing to appear when navigation bar hidden.
* Fix graph axis labels appearing in wrong location on iOS7
* Fix field labels when editing appearing in a difficult to read colour if you had used certain themes in previous versions.
App DescriptionAnkiMobile is a mobile companion to Anki, a powerful, intelligent flashcard program that is free, multi-platform, and open-source. Sales of this app support the development of both the computer and mobile version, which is why the app is priced as a computer application.
AnkiMobile offers some features not found in other flashcard apps:
- A free cloud synchronization service that lets you keep your card content synchronized across multiple mobile and computer devices. This makes it easy to add content on a computer and then study it on your mobile, easily keep your study progress current between an iPhone and iPad, and so on.
- The same proven scheduling algorithm that the computer version of Anki uses, which reminds you of material as you're about to forget it.
- A flexible interface designed for smooth and efficient study. You can set up AnkiMobile to perform different actions when you tap or swipe on various parts of the screen, and control which actions appear on the tool buttons.
- Comprehensive graphs and statistics about your studies.
- Support for large card decks - even 100,000+ cards.
- If your cards use images or audio clips, the media is stored on your device, so you can study without an internet connection.
- A powerful search facility that allows you to find cards that match criteria such as 'tagged high priority, answered in the last ten days and not containing the following words', and automatically place them into a deck to study.
- Support for displaying mathematical equations that were added with LaTeX in the desktop software, and ruby text above Asian languages.
Please note that AnkiMobile is currently intended as a companion to the computer version of Anki, rather than a complete replacement for it. While AnkiMobile supports the full set of scheduling options that the desktop does, the options can't currently be changed from within AnkiMobile, so it's necessary to adjust them on the desktop and then sync the changes across to AnkiMobile. Likewise with card layout: customizing the appearance of your cards and turning on options like 'type in the answer' currently needs to be done with the computer software. For this reason, please familiarize yourself with the computer version of Anki before you think about buying this app.
Aside from the cloud synchronization service, AnkiMobile also supports copying decks to and from your device via the USB cable and iTunes.
Like all apps, AnkiMobile can be purchased once and then used on up to 5 devices in a household using the same Apple ID. For information on bulk discounts for educational institutions, please see http://www.apple.com/itunes/education/
For more information on AnkiMobile, including a link to the online manual, please have a look at the support page: http://ankisrs.net/docs/AnkiMobile.html
If you have any questions or want to report an issue, please use the above link! I have no way of replying to reviews placed on the app store, and quite often the issues posted in app store reviews can be easily resolved.
November 19, 2013 New version 2.0.8
November 07, 2013 New version 2.0.7
October 18, 2013 New version 2.0.6
September 26, 2013 New version 2.0.5
February 07, 2013 New version 2.0.3
January 26, 2013 New version 2.0.2
May 26, 2010 Initial Release