First of all let me say sorry for the low quality of the initial 9.0 release. There were a lot of huge changes and it was difficult to test. Nevertheless, the app should not have gone out with so many problems, if I had known about them I never would have released it.
I HAD tested manga extensively, but then I made some changes and OBVIOUSLY didn’t test enough again.
I guess most of you don’t know but bitolithic only has one employee. Don’t be deceived by what you have seen on twitter, sometimes the dog tries to help with the mouse but he’s unreliable on his best days, useless the rest of the time.
Close to release the list of things to do just grows and grows, I spend the last two months prior to a release lying to myself that I’m almost here, just a little bit further to go, another week, maybe two. I know it’s going to take longer but looking at the big picture is too daunting.
In the last week or two prior to release the work switches from coding to graphics work, writing the iTunes copy, making the screenshots and talking to the poor beta testers (they’re volunteers and I love em all). It’s a very hectic time and I feel I am doing four jobs and badly too.
I think I’ll do some more tests and it will be ready, open Manga, check, pages show up, check, right order, one page view, two page view, zoom in, zoom out, it all works, just like last time!
It’s time to get it out the door, let’s do it!
Does it remember where in a comic I am? sure! open comic, scroll to halfway through, go out of the comic, go back in, same spot. Quit the app, re-start it, shows the same spot, it works!
Let’s get this out to the users, they’re going to love the new reading view!
The first few pages of the manga, the ones all the way at the right, didn’t show up, I missed it.
The app DOES remember where in the comic you are, it saves it perfectly. But if you are reading a comic with more than 50 pages there is an optimization that, a second or two after you open the comic, causes the reading view to re-layout the pages. That re-layout made comics scroll all the way to the start again.
That is what happened, I am sorry, please know that these issues happen not because I don’t care about the app, or you, or because I’m lazy. They happen for the exact opposite reasons.
A lot of you have expressed concerns about Comic Zeal asking you to log into your iTunes account the first time you start it. I never thought it would be an issue for anyone because I know WHY it is doing it, turns out it’s a little sinister for some if you don’t know what’s going on.
If you bought Comic Zeal prior to the release of version 9 you continue to get access to all the older themes, if you buy it after you have to pay a little extra to get all the themes. Earlier versions of CZ never cared about when you bought it, this one does. It has to know if it should show you all the themes or not. To do that it asks the iPad to fetch a file that contains the version number of the first CZ you bought, most of the time the iPad then asks you to log in to your iTunes account to make sure CZ is not trying to do anything funny. The login prompt is there to protect you and it comes from iOS, not Comic Zeal.
I’m running out of room, here are the changes:
- Fixed issue with the first few pages were not shown in Manga.
- Fixed issue where the reading position wasn’t saved.
- Fixed issue where the app would crash if the user zoomed in to a page, then double-taped to zoom out, then went to the next page.
- Fixed issue where the text was fuzzy in retina displays.
- If the user has set the page to fit-to-width when they exit the reading view. Next time they open the reading view their setting will be remembered.
I hope you all like this update.
Please leave a nice review
Can’t believe I said it all and kept it under the 4000 character limi
Do you want the most features? the best reading experience? Comic Zeal 9 has them both. It was the first comic reader in the App Store, it’s still the best.
• Organize your collection how YOU want. Put series inside series, use dividers to manage long lists.
• Automatically sorts comics into their series.
• Super fast reading view with two-page mode and assisted panning.
• Page position lock so you don’t see the same borders page after page.
• Does the right thing when you rotate your device, many comics have a mixture of portrait and landscape pages.
• Lightning fast search, by comic title and tags.
• Parental lock for individual series.
IN APP PURCHASES
For a very reasonable price you can also unlock
• Comic Finders, create smart series that show you unread comics from all over your library.
• Seven new, gorgeous themes.
• WI-Fi using a web browser on a PC or Mac.
• Drop Box, iCloud Drive, etc using iOS document sharing.
• AirDrop from a Mac.
• iTunes via USB or Wi-FI
Comic Zeal features the innovative slider, it's a pointer, a container and a toolbox, all in one. You can push stuff into it, then go anywhere in your collection and drag it out. It's an incredibly fast way to organize your comics.
With the slider you can:
• Reorder comics, put them into the slider in the order you want them, then drag them out.
• Create reading lists (by making copies of comics that don't take up any space on your device)
• Create series and dividers right in the app. Dividers are lists that can hold comics, series and even other dividers.
• Tap the ‘i’ info icon for comics, series and dividers. You can rename entries, sort a series or mark items as read or unread.
• When zooming, hold the gesture for half a second. Comic Zeal will lock that zoom and position when you turn the page, it's a great way to hide borders.
Comics used in the screenshots:
'Escape from Planet Nowhere', © 2010 Otis Frampton, http://planet-nowhere.com/
Please note, there is a problem with Google Drive’s iOS extension that doesn’t allow you to open comic and other files that they consider to be ’non-standard’. You can read more about it here: https://goo.gl/EKVRbN and here https://goo.gl/XXYRQI . You can open Comics from the Google Drive app itself using the 'Open in ...' option, just not directly from Comic Zeal.
- June 24, 2011 New version 4.0.26
- November 15, 2011 New version 5.0.36
- February 23, 2012 Price decrease: $7.99 -> $4.99
- June 04, 2012 New version 5.1.4
- June 14, 2012 New version 5.1.7
- November 05, 2012 New version 5.1.12
- December 12, 2012 New version 5.1.14
- April 02, 2013 New version 5.1.19
- May 09, 2013 New version 5.2.0
- May 14, 2013 New version 5.2.1
- August 14, 2013 New version 5.2.5
- September 10, 2013 New version 5.2.6
- September 30, 2013 New version 6.0.19
- October 09, 2013 New version 6.0.20
- November 27, 2013 New version 6.0.25
- January 22, 2014 Price decrease: $4.99 -> $3.99
- January 27, 2014 Price increase: $3.99 -> $4.99
- June 26, 2014 New version 6.1.4
- November 25, 2014 New version 8.0.6
- December 12, 2014 New version 8.0.7
- September 14, 2015 New version 9.0.1
- September 22, 2015 New version 9.0.2