148Apps Review SummaryOur Rating: :: Shazaam! :: Read Our Full Review >>
Need a stable way to view your .CBZ and .CBR comics on your iPad? Comic Zeal 4 is your best bet right now.
What's NewHi all, a lot of you thought there was too much white space in the list view. In this version I've reduced the whitespace and added a comic page count indicator. There are also a lot of graphic updates and a significant change to the ‘series name search’ feature.
You can also now open a comic by tapping anywhere in it’s box, not just the thumbnail.
- Reduced the size of thumbnails in the list view.
- In the list view, I’ve moved the progress indicator from the bottom of the comic entry to the side of the thumbnail. A little note about the behaviour of this indicator. The first dot is filled in as soon as you start reading the comic, the last dot is not filled in until you have finished the comic.
- Can now open a comic by tapping anywhere in the box not just the thumbnail.
- Greatly improved the 'Series Name Search' feature. To refresh your memory, if this option is turned on, whenever a comic is imported Comic Zeal tries to find the name of a series in the comic's name. If it finds a match it then puts the comic in that series. The old version used to fail if there was a lot of punctuation in either name, specially if instead of spaces underscores or hyphens were used. This new version removes all punctuation and spaces before trying to do the match. It yields much better results.
- Fixed issue where the options button for a comic would not work it the slider was close.
- Changed the ‘home’ icon to look like a house not a comic box. The old comic box was great three years ago when no-one else was using it, now the same shape also means ‘archive’ in a lot of apps and it’s getting confusing.
App DescriptionImagine holding your comic library in your hands; with Comic Zeal, you don't have to imagine.
Your iPad is the perfect device for reading comics, but reading comics and manga isn't like reading books. You need a specialist app that can:
• Organize your comics by series, don't look through hundreds to find the one you want.
• When you finish reading one comic, automatically open the next one.
• Reliably zoom in on content, and not show you the same borders page after page.
• Be smart about what to show you when you rotate the device, many comics have a mixture of portrait and landscape pages.
• Lets you search for and find your comics by title and the tags that you've applied to them.
• Load your comics using USB, wifi or even other apps like Drop Box.
That app is Comic Zeal. It does everything on the list and much more. It was the first comic reader on the app store more than four years ago. We've been listening to your feedback and improving on it ever since.
Comic Zeal uses the innovative slider, it's a pointer, a container and a toolbox, all in one. You can push comics, series and dividers into it. Then go anywhere in your library and drag them out. It's an incredibly fast way to organize your comics.
With the slider you can:
• Reorder comics, put them into the slider in the order you want them, then drag them out.
• Create reading lists (by making copies of comics that don't take up any space on your device)
• Create series and dividers right in the app. Dividers are lists that can hold comics, series and even other dividers.
If you're still not convinced read our reviews and have a look at our star rating. Then buy the app and read the usage tips below whilst it's downloading.
• Tap the options icon for comics, series and dividers. You can rename entries, sort a series or mark items as read or unread.
• When zooming, hold the gesture for half a second. Comic Zeal will lock that zoom and position when you turn the page, it's a great way to hide borders. Try zooming using your thumbs while holding the iPad in both hands.
• You can turn pages by swiping or tapping the sides of the screen. The tap area is thin so that you can easily reach past it with your thumb for scrolling. The BEST way to change page is to simply slide your thumb from the iPad's frame to the screen and back. It's picked up as a page turn every time and it's very natural.
• You can import cbz/cbr/rar/zip and PDF comics directly into Comic Zeal using iTunes file sharing with a USB cable or over a wireless network.
Loading comics using USB (fastest and most reliable)
1. Connect the iPad to your computer.
2. iTunes should open automatically, but if it doesn't open iTunes.
3. In the left column, click on Devices > (your iPad)
4. Click on the "Apps" tab.
5. Scroll down from the "Sync Apps" section to the "File Sharing" section.
6. Click on "Comic Zeal".
7. Drop your comic files into the "Comic Zeal 5 Documents" section.
Comics take around 7 seconds each to import. Please keep in mind that whatever comics you add, iTunes will back up. So don't add tens or gigabytes at once or your next sync will take a while!
Comics used in the screenshots:
'Escape from Planet Nowhere', © 2010 Otis Frampton, http://planet-nowhere.com/
'The Paladin', © Jim Shelley, http://www.flashbackuniverse.com/
Read what the press has to say about Comic Zeal:
"ComicZeal is good at what it does. Comic book fans interested in taking their favorite books with them will enjoy ComicZeal."
- Awarded 4 mice, MacWorld.com
"Fans of comics’ “Golden Age” now have a great way to feed that jones on the iPhone and iPod Touch with Comic Zeal from Bitolithic."
- Lonnie Lazar, cultofmac.com
"ComicZeal is the ideal app for the avid comic reader"
- 'Best' Award, appreview.com
November 27, 2013 New version 6.0.25
October 09, 2013 New version 6.0.20
September 26, 2013 New version 6.0.19
September 10, 2013 New version 5.2.6
May 14, 2013 New version 5.2.1
May 10, 2013 New version 5.2.0
April 01, 2010 Initial Release