148Apps Review SummaryOur Rating: :: Shazaam! :: Read Our Full Review >>
Need a stable way to view your .CBZ and .CBR comics on your iPad? Comic Zeal 4 is your best bet right now.
What's NewWelcome to the new Comic Zeal! We are really excited to show you what we've been working on.
The new iOS from Apple throws away the concept of making user interface elements look like real-world items. It's not just an update to the look, it's also an update to the philosophy.
A lot of developers are taking the approach of starting a brand new version of their app. It makes a lot of sense, making an app that spans both generations of the OS is very difficult.
We couldn't do that. It's not possible to move data between apps.
If the new Comic Zeal was a new app, your comics would be left behind in the old version. We couldn't have that.
Our only option was to update CZ to support both versions of the iOS, and the best way to do that was to simplify the user interface. We've kept all the old functionality, but we've made it easier to access.
The slider of course, stays, it's the best option for organising large collections of anything on iOS. Everything else changes.
The collection view loses it's wooden background. The reading view controls have gone into a toolbar.
We've also taken this opportunity to get rid of some old user interface niggles. For example, many people didn't use or understand the locking system in the reading view, or the assisted panning option. We've made page locking accessible through a button. Assisted panning is explained a little more in the options setting.
Speaking of options, the comic/series/divider options in the collection view are accessible through a button. We suspect a lot of people didn't even know some of the things you could do. You can rename everything just by tapping on the name. A big change is that to open a comic you have to tap on the thumbnail.
Also, a lot of the old graphics options have gone so the menus look simpler.
With the new iOS, Apple really wants us to focus on you content and the way we're applying that concept to Comic Zeal is by making thumbnails much more prominent.
Series and dividers now show multiple thumbnails. In the grid view the thumbnails are HUGE. We've put a lot of effort into making the scrolling butter smooth too, we think you will all be happy with the results, even with the huge thumbnails it's all VERY quick. Not the first time you start up this new version though, it will be a tiny bit slow as the new thumbnails are generated. After that though, watch out!
Tagging is also available on the iPhone now.
One interesting feature that we've implemented is that when you import comics, Comic Zeal looks at the comic title and tries to find the name of one of your series in there. If it finds one, then it puts the comic straight into that series. It's amazingly effective. You make up a series with the right name before importing a whole bunch of comics, then import, and all the comics go into the right place. Of course, you can always change the series name before importing a new batch too. In case the comic's naming convention changes.
We hope you really like the new version of Comic Zeal. It's been a lot of work but we're very happy with the result. If there is something you don't like, please don't leave a bad review, we can't answer them!
Instead email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact me through twitter ( @bitolithic ).
If you like it though, then for goodness' sake, leave a nice review!
App DescriptionImagine holding your comic library in your hands; with Comic Zeal, you don't have to imagine.
Your iPad is the perfect device for reading comics, but reading comics and manga isn't like reading books. You need a specialist app that can:
• Organize your comics by series, don't look through hundreds to find the one you want.
• When you finish reading one comic, automatically open the next one.
• Reliably zoom in on content, and not show you the same borders page after page.
• Be smart about what to show you when you rotate the device, many comics have a mixture of portrait and landscape pages.
• Lets you search for and find your comics by title and the tags that you've applied to them.
• Load your comics using USB, wifi or even other apps like Drop Box.
That app is Comic Zeal. It does everything on the list and much more. It was the first comic reader on the app store more than four years ago. We've been listening to your feedback and improving on it ever since.
Comic Zeal uses the innovative slider, it's a pointer, a container and a toolbox, all in one. You can push comics, series and dividers into it. Then go anywhere in your library and drag them out. It's an incredibly fast way to organize your comics.
With the slider you can:
• Reorder comics, put them into the slider in the order you want them, then drag them out.
• Create reading lists (by making copies of comics that don't take up any space on your device)
• Create series and dividers right in the app. Dividers are lists that can hold comics, series and even other dividers.
If you're still not convinced read our reviews and have a look at our star rating. Then buy the app and read the usage tips below whilst it's downloading.
• Tap the options icon for comics, series and dividers. You can rename entries, sort a series or mark items as read or unread.
• When zooming, hold the gesture for half a second. Comic Zeal will lock that zoom and position when you turn the page, it's a great way to hide borders. Try zooming using your thumbs while holding the iPad in both hands.
• You can turn pages by swiping or tapping the sides of the screen. The tap area is thin so that you can easily reach past it with your thumb for scrolling. The BEST way to change page is to simply slide your thumb from the iPad's frame to the screen and back. It's picked up as a page turn every time and it's very natural.
• You can import cbz/cbr/rar/zip and PDF comics directly into Comic Zeal using iTunes file sharing with a USB cable or over a wireless network.
Loading comics using USB (fastest and most reliable)
1. Connect the iPad to your computer.
2. iTunes should open automatically, but if it doesn't open iTunes.
3. In the left column, click on Devices > (your iPad)
4. Click on the "Apps" tab.
5. Scroll down from the "Sync Apps" section to the "File Sharing" section.
6. Click on "Comic Zeal".
7. Drop your comic files into the "Comic Zeal 5 Documents" section.
Comics take around 7 seconds each to import. Please keep in mind that whatever comics you add, iTunes will back up. So don't add tens or gigabytes at once or your next sync will take a while!
Comics used in the screenshots:
'Escape from Planet Nowhere', © 2010 Otis Frampton, http://planet-nowhere.com/
'The Paladin', © Jim Shelley, http://www.flashbackuniverse.com/
Read what the press has to say about Comic Zeal:
"ComicZeal is good at what it does. Comic book fans interested in taking their favorite books with them will enjoy ComicZeal."
- Awarded 4 mice, MacWorld.com
"Fans of comics’ “Golden Age” now have a great way to feed that jones on the iPhone and iPod Touch with Comic Zeal from Bitolithic."
- Lonnie Lazar, cultofmac.com
"ComicZeal is the ideal app for the avid comic reader"
- 'Best' Award, appreview.com
November 27, 2013 New version 6.0.25
October 09, 2013 New version 6.0.20
September 26, 2013 New version 6.0.19
September 10, 2013 New version 5.2.6
May 14, 2013 New version 5.2.1
May 10, 2013 New version 5.2.0
April 01, 2010 Initial Release