148Apps Review SummaryOur Rating: :: EXCELLENT :: Read Our Full Review >>
VNC Viewer is an excellent app that lets you remotely access and control a computer running VNC Server. It works beautifully, the app is universal, and the service as a whole is simply superb.
What's New- Bug fixes for iOS 8.
App DescriptionVNCÂ® Viewer is the only remote access app youâ€™ll need. Why? Becauseâ€¦
* Itâ€™s from RealVNCâ„˘, the inventors of VNC remote access and control technology.
* Weâ€™ve 20 yearsâ€™ experience making the remote control experience as good as it gets.
* Thereâ€™s no limit to the number of computers you can access, nor how long you can connect in for.
* We support the widest range of platforms in the business: www.realvnc.com/products/vnc/tech-specs/
* Itâ€™s free to use whether youâ€™re connecting locally or over the Internet (and you wonâ€™t see an advert, either).
Donâ€™t believe us? Check out our reviews! Then check out the hidden costs of other remote access solutionsâ€¦
We recommend you try this out at home or in the office first:
1) Make sure your computer and iDevice are connected to the same Wi-Fi-enabled local network.
2) Install this app on your iDevice.
3) Download VNC 5 to your computer and apply a Free license, or take a 30 day trial of our premium security and performance features.
When youâ€™re ready to go out and about:
5) Make sure both computer and iDevice are connected to the Internet (for example over 3G, or from a Wi-Fi hotspot).
6) Configure the computerâ€™s firewall to enable VNC.
7) Configure the computerâ€™s router to forward port 5900.
For more information on steps 6 and 7, see www.realvnc.com/products/vnc/documentation/latest/getting-connected/
===Security and privacy===
When you connect, youâ€™re asked for credentials (this is to protect your computers if you share or lose your iDevice). Weâ€™re often asked what these are:
* If you applied a Free license to VNC 5, enter the password you created when you installed it on your computer.
* If you applied a paid-for license (or took a trial), enter the username and password you normally use to *log on* to your computer.
We donâ€™t want to hide anything from you, so please note that connections will only be secure (encrypted) if you applied a paid-for license to VNC 5 (or took a trial). Connections to a Free license are fast and responsive, but we hope youâ€™ll understand that end-to-end encryption is a premium feature.
===How to control===
Your finger moves the mouse cursor rather than clicking where you touch, as you might expect with a touchscreen. While this may seem counter-intuitive at first, youâ€™ll soon appreciate the fine-grained control it gives you of a high-resolution computer desktop (especially from the small screen of an iPhone!)
Mouse operations are performed by gestures. So to double-click, position the mouse cursor appropriately and then tap the screen twice. To see which gestures weâ€™ve mapped to other click, drag, and scroll operations, tap [?] on the toolbar to open the help.
To type, open the keyboard from the toolbar. Function and other special keys (such as Ctrl, Alt, Delete, and the Cmd key on a Mac) are available from a sliding bar above the keyboard.
As for the rest: itâ€™s as though youâ€™re sitting in front of your computer! Thereâ€™s simply no limit to the applications you can run, data you can access, nor operations you can performâ€¦
Weâ€™d love to hear from you:
Better still, leave us a review!
RealVNC and VNC are trademarks of RealVNC Ltd. in the U.S. and in other countries. Protected by UK patents 2481870, 2479756; US patent 8760366.
November 14, 2014 New version 2.3.1
June 30, 2014 New version 2.3.0
January 29, 2014 Price Decrease: $9.99 -> FREE!
January 29, 2014 New version 2.2.3
November 01, 2013 New version 2.2.2
September 01, 2013 New version 2.2.1
June 15, 2013 New version 2.2.0
February 02, 2010 Initial Release