This is a quick update to fix a graphics freezing problem caused by iOS 8.2. In addition, Theodolite will now warn users if they have not given permission to use the device camera in iOS 8 (previously the app would just quit if the camera wasn't available). Stay tuned for an all-new Theodolite 5.0 coming later this spring with many new features!
••• Welcome Spring Sale 50%-off! ••• As seen in Apple's Special Event Keynote! Theodolite is a multi-function viewfinder that combines a compass, two-axis inclinometer, rangefinder, GPS, map, nav calculator, tracker, and geo-tag photo/movie camera into one indispensable app. Uses are endless, and the app is great for hiking, boating, hunting, golf, outdoor sports, sightseeing, navigation, and finding your way around. Theodolite is used extensively by surveyors, geologists, architects, engineers, competitive sportsmen, first responders, military personnel, and search and rescue workers around the world. Find out why Apple named Theodolite one of the most amazing apps available and showed it being used to explore the Great Wall of China. Where will you take it on your next adventure?
Theodolite lets you take geo-tagged camera images, screenshots, movies, and screen movies directly from the app, with 2X and 4X digital zoom and fast buffered saves. You can choose to stamp geographical data and custom notes directly on photos and movies for later reference.
View your current position on the built in map view, with standard, satellite, and hybrid modes, compass rose, and bearings. Theodolite lets you create custom "live" map markers that continually update distance/heading relative to the current location. Share map markers and nav calculator points with other users of Theodolite and Theodolite HD via SMS text messages and e-mail. This powerful capability opens up a wide range of collaborative uses which include team land surveying, accident investigations, spotting of wild fires, triangulation of landmarks, and advanced tactical observation and targeting operations.
Theodolite includes features for serious users like a reference angle mode, a nav calculator, data logging, e-mail export with KML, system-wide clipboard integration, percent grade display, mil compass readout, optical rangefinders (including a mil-based reticle, sniper-style stadiametric graphs, and a variable 4X-24X scope), and colored lens filters to improve use in dark conditions and preserve night vision. The app can provide location in military grid reference system (MGRS) coordinates, universal transverse Mercator (UTM) coordinates, British/Irish National Grids, and six latitude/longitude formats. The optional "Datum Pack" adds over 220 geodetic datums to the app for more accurate position and altitude computation from GPS data. Optional datums include NAD-27, NAD-83, OSGB-36, ED-50, and hundreds of others, covering regions and countries on all continents around the world.
With an optional in-app purchase to enable team tracking, you can share location with up to 20 people on Theodolite's map. Team tracking was developed in conjunction with search and rescue teams to offer a good balance between simplicity and performance. It deliberately avoids using continuous updates and background GPS operations to minimize impacts on battery life. It does not require complicated logins or authentications. All location information is transmitted privately within a team, and members can opt to temporarily disable tracking on their device when additional privacy is needed.
Theodolite has been featured several times in iTunes in "Rewind: Hot Trends in Apps", "The World Around You", and "New and Noteworthy". It has been a #1 selling Navigation app in App Stores around the world. Since its introduction in 2009, Theodolite has defined augmented reality navigation. The app continually introduces new technologies, pushing the limits of iOS app development and setting the pace for the competition.
Theodolite works on any iPhone or iPod Touch with camera. Also check out Theodolite HD for iPad and iPad Mini, with an interface designed specifically for the iPad's screen!
- March 17, 2015 New version 4.0.1
- October 03, 2013 New version 4.0
- February 16, 2013 New version 3.2
- November 02, 2012 New version 3.1.1
- September 25, 2012 New version 3.1
- July 09, 2012 New version 3.0
- July 08, 2012 Price increase: $1.99 -> $3.99
- July 04, 2012 Price decrease: $3.99 -> $1.99
- May 30, 2012 Price increase: $1.99 -> $3.99
- May 26, 2012 Price decrease: $3.99 -> $1.99
- May 25, 2012 Price increase: $2.99 -> $3.99
- May 23, 2012 Price increase: $0.99 -> $2.99
- May 22, 2012 Price decrease: $1.99 -> $0.99
- May 20, 2012 Price decrease: $3.99 -> $1.99
- April 25, 2012 New version 2.7
- November 19, 2011 New version 2.6.1
- August 02, 2011 New version 2.5
- June 24, 2011 New version 2.3.1
- February 17, 2011 New version 2.3.1
- February 11, 2011 New version 2.3
- December 09, 2010 New version 2.2
- September 17, 2010 New version 2.1
- August 26, 2010 New version 2.0.3
- August 14, 2010 New version 2.0.2
- August 09, 2010 New version 2.0.1
- April 20, 2010 New version 1.3
- February 23, 2010 Price increase: $1.99 -> $3.99
- February 22, 2010 Price decrease: $1.99 -> $0.99
- February 17, 2010 New version 1.2
- January 16, 2010 Price increase: $0.99 -> $1.99
- January 15, 2010 New version 1.1