What's New** Please hold off on this update if you are using iOS4. There is a bug we have identified and a fix has already been submitted to Apple. **
- iPhone 4 Retina display compatibility
- iOS 4 compatibility
- New BBC Breaking News service (Note: Links for this service will only go to the homepage of BBC, but the alerts are worthwhile enough that we decided to add it anyways).
- Updated Twitter library
- Other minor tweaks
App DescriptionWish your phone would tell you when something big happens in the news? Well, there's an app for that...
* Updated for iPhone 4! *
* Featured on What's Hot (US) *
Get breaking news push notifications from some of the biggest names in news!
CURRENT LIST OF NEWS SOURCES
- CNN Breaking News
- CNN Headlines
- The New York Times
- FOX News
- BBC News
- BBC Breaking News
- USA Today
- Google News
WHAT IS A PUSH NOTIFICATION?
Think text message, only free with your iPhone's data plan. Pushes can also have things assigned to them, like custom sounds or built-in links, and are delivered to your phone almost instantaneously.
SHARE WITH FRIENDS
Push News supports the sharing of stories with either Facebook or email without leaving the app. Your news experience is seamless.
PUT IT TO SLEEP
Don't want to receive an update in the middle of the night? You wont have to. We've added a sleep function to Push News that tells our server not to send you any updates during a particular time block of the day.
ONE TOUCH VIEWING OF STORIES
When an alert comes in, with one tap or swipe the full story will open in Safari automagically. You can easily dismiss an alert from your lock screen by pressing the sleep/wake button on top of your iPhone/iPod Touch, or from anywhere else by tapping Close (it works the same as a text message).
Our server checks each message before sending it out to make sure you haven't already received it. Of course, if you're signed up for BBC and CNN and both post something about the same story, you will get an alert from each, but you wont get the exact same alert from the same source twice.
BYE BYE SAFARI
When you tap on view (or swipe to view from the lock screen), you have several options. The story can open in Safari, directly in the app, or you can disable alert links altogether. It's your choice!
A user requested feature, badge counts (completely optional) give you a quick heads up on how much news you've been missing.
5 different alert sounds for you to choose from are built into the app. You can also tell Push News to vibrate without sound or to use whatever sound your iPhone normally uses for alerts. In Options, tap the Alert Sound On/Off switch to toggle or the whole row to change the sound.
NO ADDITIONAL CHARGES, EVER
Each news source is free and you can subscribe to as many or as few as you want. There will never be a monthly service charge for this app and since push notices are included in your data plan, you wont be charged for them either. In other words, the app price is all you'll ever pay.
THINGS TO KNOW
- Push notices use about the same amount of battery as a text message.
- OS 3.0 or higher is required for Push Notifications.
- When the app first launches, you must accept the request to send push notices or we wont be able to send them to you.
- Google News will send you something whenever a story becomes extremely popular on any news site (lots of alerts). Only for serious news junkies!
- Descriptions are unavailable for CNN Breaking News, CNBC and Google News.
- All BBC Breaking News updates link only to BBC's homepage.
Having problems? Let us know by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org. We stand by our apps and will make them perfect!
July 07, 2011 Price Decrease: $2.99 -> $1.99
August 31, 2009 Initial Release