This is a quick fix release to resolve problems with loading the Explore screen, and other improvements to app stability.
Other recent improvements:
- Control the text size of articles
- Easily add, reorder and delete your languages (Go to Settings>My Languages)
- Swipe up to dismiss images
- Split view multi-tasking support on large screens
- Easier swipe from the edge to show an article's Table of Contents
- Added support for Myanmar (my) and Khmer (km) Wikipedias!
Search, read, and explore Wikipedia with the official Wikipedia app for iOS. Find the information you need now, or dive down a Wikipedia rabbit hole– take a journey through the knowledge that interests you most. With more than 36 million articles in nearly 300 languages, your favorite free online encyclopedia is now at your fingertips. Curious? Check out the App features below.
Explore feed - The new ‘Explore feed’ provides a central place for personalized and constantly updating content including:
- Featured article of the day
- Top read articles
- Picture of the day
- Random articles
- Nearby articles
- Recommended articles based on what you’ve read
Easy touch navigation, including 3D touch - Multi-touch gestures like swipe, tap, and 3D Touch features help complete essential tasks more quickly and simply.
Spotlight and Emoji search - Find the information you’re looking for more easily with improved search, including the ability to search saved articles using Spotlight and voice-enabled search from your device. You can even search with your favorite emojis!
Save articles to read later - Save articles for reading later, even when you’re offline.
Image galleries - Enjoy high resolution image galleries and prominent article images as you navigate through the app.
Multilingual support - Search for and read Wikipedia articles written in any Wikipedia-supported language--there are nearly 300!
Share - Easily share articles, images, and facts from Wikipedia on social media or by email. Or use Handoff to continue reading articles across your iOS devices.
Want to know more behind the scenes of the Wikipedia mobile app for iOS? Check out these resources:
About the Wikimedia Foundation
The Wikimedia Foundation is a nonprofit organization that supports and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia projects. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable organization funded mainly through donations. For more information, please visit our website: https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Home.
To send feedback, from the app tap:
Settings Gear > Send app feedback
Contribute to our app localizations:
Code at GitHub open source repository:
- August 02, 2011 New version 2.1
- October 08, 2011 New version 2.2
- January 11, 2012 New version 2.2.1
- February 12, 2012 New version 2.2.2
- April 05, 2012 New version 3.1.1
- April 18, 2012 New version 3.1.2
- July 07, 2012 New version 3.2
- November 02, 2012 New version 3.2.1
- November 20, 2012 New version 3.2.2
- January 23, 2013 New version 3.3
- April 05, 2013 New version 3.3.1
- August 01, 2014 New version 4.0
- August 04, 2014 New version 4.0.1
- September 17, 2014 New version 4.0.2
- September 27, 2014 New version 4.0.3
- October 20, 2014 New version 4.0.4
- November 03, 2014 New version 4.0.5
- December 07, 2014 New version 4.0.6
- April 26, 2015 New version 4.1.2
- May 14, 2015 New version 4.1.3
- June 03, 2015 New version 4.1.4
- June 25, 2015 New version 4.1.5
- July 09, 2015 New version 4.1.6
- August 04, 2015 New version 4.1.7
- March 13, 2016 New version 5.0
- March 22, 2016 New version 5.0.1
- July 11, 2016 New version 5.0.4