This update uses a new feature of iOS 9 called "app thinning". Based on asset catalogs, slicing and on-demand resources it avoids downloading assets you'll never need. So for example an iPhone doesn't need to download an iPad splash screen. Overall this means updates only download the files that have changed -- so updates are much faster to finish. Which allows us to update more often.
Improved Thumbnail and Gallery images. The images for the Thumbnail and Gallery view now use 24-bit PNGs which are much sharper and easier to see than the previous JPG images.
New illustrations. Be sure to visit the Illustration Update attribute on the search menu and select the latest version number. This will show you all the illustrations that have been updated.
Fixed a bug in Force Touch when used with Gallery mode.
iBird Pro 9 Guide to Birds now includes the new features of iOS 9 including 3D Force Touch for opening iBird with shortcuts and Deep Linking to search for any bird right from the iPhone's Spotlight screen. Also included are a new Save Search feature you asked for and 65 updated species accounts.
iBird Pro is Mitch Waite Group's classic field guide to birds of North America for the iPhone and iPad. It contains 940 species and offers all the features that contribute to making iBird the most popular birding app in the world.
"If you’re looking for the most expansive digital key, the encyclopedia-like iBird excels. It has the most sophisticated algorithm, incorporates live location, shows search results in real time (with a slide show option) and has the most fine-grained advanced key choices."
-The Quest for a Bird Identification Key by Diana Doyle in ABA BIRDING magazine, March/April 2014 issue
New in 9.1
■ Faster Downloads with App Thinning. It now takes much less time to update iBird.
■ New illustrations. Be sure to visit the Illustration Update attribute on the search menu and select the latest version number.
■ Improved Thumbnail and Gallery images.
Check out a few of iBird Pro's exciting new features:
■ 3D Force Touch uses shortcuts to open iBird to specific screens while Deep Linking puts iBird's database into the SpotLight search results.
■ Save Search remembers all your search settings even after quitting iBird.
■ Day and Night Themes. Day theme is black text on a paper-white background. The dimmer Night theme keeps the iPhone from alerting every critter in the forest.
■ More sound recordings! Almost all birds, even the shy ones, have songs and calls, and iBird Pro has the best from professional recordists in the field.
■ The only bird field guide app with BOTH illustrations and photos.
■ Powerful Sound Player is the only bird app that displays waveform and spectrograms of the song, has multiple vocalizations per species and shows the recording location.
■ Includes 37 different search attributes covering everything from color, habitat, size, patterns, bill shape, crown color and many more.
■ New subspecies Range Maps show migrations and locations of numerous races during the year.
■ Flickr Option. Allows you to see hundreds of photos people have stored on Yahoo's Flickr site for a chosen species.
Check out these additional features of iBird Pro:
■ Photos. An extensive collection of photos from professionals accompanies all the illustrations.
■ Field Mark Layer. Detailed field marks on illustrations that can be turned on or off helps you to learn the key ID characteristics to look for.
■ Search for any bird by entering a species Band Code, its Common or Latin Name.
■ Favorites, Notes and Lists. Lets you pick birds to add to custom lists, back them up to free Dropbox, sync and share among other iBird apps or send them to your friends.
■ Sort and View Modes. Sort species by name or family and view by compact, icon, and thumbnail or gallery mode.
■ Slideshow. Choose species you want to learn about and the app will present photos and/or illustrations accompanied by songs and calls.
AWARDS and ACCOLADES for iBird:
■ MACWORLD'S "BEST REFERENCE APP 2009: 4 ½ out of 5 mice.
■ NOMINATED 2012 BEST APP EVER FROM 148APPS.COM
■ RECOMMENDED BY SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN MAGAZINE, AUGUST 2012
(1) Note iBird Pro requires iOS 7, 8 or higher.
- June 25, 2011 Price decrease: $29.99 -> $14.99
- June 25, 2011 New version 4.0
- July 02, 2011 Price increase: $14.99 -> $19.99
- September 01, 2011 Price increase: $19.99 -> $29.99
- September 10, 2011 Price decrease: $29.99 -> $19.99
- October 19, 2011 Price decrease: $19.99 -> $14.99
- October 20, 2011 Price increase: $14.99 -> $19.99
- October 25, 2011 Price decrease: $19.99 -> $14.99
- October 25, 2011 New version 5.0
- December 23, 2011 New version 5.1
- May 07, 2012 Price decrease: $14.99 -> $0.99
- May 17, 2012 Price increase: $0.99 -> $2.99
- July 15, 2012 New version 6.0
- July 15, 2012 Price increase: $2.99 -> $14.99
- November 27, 2012 Price decrease: $14.99 -> $4.99
- December 01, 2012 Price increase: $4.99 -> $14.99
- January 04, 2013 Price increase: $14.99 -> $19.99
- February 08, 2013 New version 6.1
- February 09, 2013 Price decrease: $19.99 -> $14.99
- March 02, 2013 Price increase: $14.99 -> $19.99
- November 30, 2013 Price decrease: $19.99 -> $7.99
- December 01, 2013 New version 6.11
- December 29, 2013 Price increase: $7.99 -> $19.99
- May 31, 2014 New version 7.0
- June 19, 2014 New version 7.01
- October 21, 2014 New version 7.2
- October 21, 2014 Price decrease: $19.99 -> $14.99
- November 05, 2014 Price increase: $14.99 -> $19.99
- March 17, 2015 New version 7.22
- March 17, 2015 Price decrease: $19.99 -> $14.99
- November 16, 2015 New version 9.0
- December 14, 2015 New version 9.1