What's NewBrings the mini version up to date with the Universal version including option to turn off page turn transitions and lock series.
From the app-wide option menu you can set a passcode. Then, from the options menu of a series you can lock it from opening.
If you forget your passcode you can reset it as long as you can import a file into Comic Zeal through iTunes file sharing.
• Connect the iPad/iPhone to your computer.
• iTunes should open automatically, but if it doesn't open iTunes.
• In the side bar, click on Devices > (your device). If you don't see the sidebar you can go into the 'View' menu and select 'Show Sidebar'.
• Click on the "Apps" tab.
• Scroll down from the "Sync Apps" section to the "File Sharing" section.
• Click on "Comic Zeal".
• Drop the unlock file into the "Comic Zeal" section. The unlock file can be any file named 'unlock.txt'.
• Open Comic Zeal and when it detects the unlock file it will reset your passcode.
App DescriptionImagine holding your comic library in your hands; with Comic Zeal, you don't have to imagine.
MINI VERSION: This version is for iPhone and iPod touch only. The regular version works on the iPad too.
Your iPhone is the perfect device for reading comics, but reading comics and manga isn't like reading books. You need a specialist app that can:
• Organize your comics by series, don't look through hundreds to find the one you want.
• When you finish reading one comic, automatically open the next one.
• Reliably zoom in on content, not show you the same borders page after page.
• Be smart about what to show you when you rotate the device, many comics have a mixture of portrait and landscape pages.
• Lets you search for and find your comics by title and the tags that you've applied to them (tagging only available on the iPad).
• Load your comics using USB, wifi or even other apps like Drop Box.
That app is Comic Zeal. It does everything on the list and much more. It was the first comic reader on the app store more than three years ago. We've been listening to your feedback and improving on it ever since.
Comic Zeal 5 introduces the innovative slider; you can push comics, series and dividers into it. Then go anywhere in your library and drag them out. It's an incredibly fast way to organize your comics.
With the slider you can:
• Reorder comics, put them into the slider in the order you want them, then drag them out.
• Create reading lists (by making copies of comics that don't take up any space on your device)
• Create series and dividers right in the app. Dividers are lists that can hold comics, series and even other dividers.
If you're still not convinced read our reviews and have a look at our star rating. Then buy the app and read the usage tips below whilst it's downloading.
• Double tap a comic, series or divider to see its options menu. Use it to rename entries, sort a series or mark items as read or unread.
• When zooming, hold the gesture for half a second. Comic Zeal will lock that zoom and position when you turn the page, it's a great way to hide borders. Try zooming using your thumbs while holding the iPad in both hands.
• You can turn pages by swiping or tapping the sides of the screen. The tap area is thin so that you can easily reach past it with your thumb for scrolling. The BEST way to change page is to simply slide your thumb from the iPad's frame to the screen and back. It's picked up as a page turn every time and it's very natural.
• You can import cbz/cbr/rar/zip and PDF comics directly into Comic Zeal using iTunes file sharing with a USB cable or over a wireless network.
Loading comics using USB (fastest and most reliable)
1. Connect the iPad to your computer.
2. iTunes should open automatically, but if it doesn't open iTunes.
3. In the left column, click on Devices > (your iPad)
4. Click on the "Apps" tab.
5. Scroll down from the "Sync Apps" section to the "File Sharing" section.
6. Click on "Comic Zeal".
7. Drop your comic files into the "Comic Zeal 5 Documents" section.
Comics take around 7 seconds each to import. Please keep in mind that whatever comics you add, iTunes will back up. So don't add tens or gigabytes at once or your next sync will take a while!
Comics used in the screenshots:
'Escape from Planet Nowhere', © 2010 Otis Frampton, http://planet-nowhere.com/
'The Paladin', © Jim Shelley, http://www.flashbackuniverse.com/
Read what the press has to say about Comic Zeal:
"ComicZeal is good at what it does. Comic book fans interested in taking their favorite books with them will enjoy ComicZeal."
- Awarded 4 mice, MacWorld.com
"Fans of comics’ “Golden Age” now have a great way to feed that jones on the iPhone and iPod Touch with Comic Zeal from Bitolithic."
- Lonnie Lazar, cultofmac.com
"ComicZeal is the ideal app for the avid comic reader"
- 'Best' Award, appreview.com
May 08, 2013 New version 5.2.0
December 10, 2012 New version 5.1.14
October 31, 2012 New version 5.1.12
June 15, 2012 New version 5.1.7
February 23, 2012 Price Decrease: $3.99 -> $1.99
December 04, 2011 New version 5.0.36
September 08, 2008 Initial Release